Saturday, February 25, 2012

bittersweet.


today was the last time i'll ever put on my greenwood uniform.
last time gary will ever tape my shin splints.
last time i'll ever beg for more pre wrap for my hair.

today was the last time i stepped out onto the court with my best friends.
the last time i go over as a team captain for basketball.
the last time i get my name announced as a starter.

today was the last time i'll ever get called for a foul. shoot a free throw. get my shot blocked.
the last time i run out of the locker room. get those pre-game butterflies.
the last time i eat a pregame meal.

today was bittersweet.

i truly, truly never thought this day would come.

i can't believe i'll never play basketball again.

that's the bitter.

but it's also sweet.
i'm so lucky to have had basketball for the past 12 years. it has made me who i am as a person.

basketball teaches such great life lessons. my coach was completely right when he told us that at the beginning of my freshman year.

it's sweet because i have made lifelong friendships through this sport. 
these girls and i have seen each other at our angriest, weakest, most upset moments but we still love each other.
a different kind of love.
this is our team.

our team.

basketball was who i was in highschool. and i am so lucky that i have had the opportunity to play.

i love my coaches.
i love my team.
i love this sport.

bittersweet.





No comments:

Post a Comment